Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring Break Run Down

My spring break was certainly not spent in a tropic location or in a night club, but it was fun and relaxing none the less. I went to Myrtle Beach to go to Buffet's Margaritaville the first weekend with a few of my friends and roommate, though by the end of the weekend I was more than a little frustrated with all of these people in my apartment.

Monday and Tuesday I hung around Wilmington, did house work and also went to see an Irish folk band, Danu (highly recommended!). Tuesday night, Michael and I went to visit my family that lives in New Bern. Since I have left for college my father has entered the adult psychiatric ward at the local hospital, then into a rehab facility and now into a daily therapy program and AA. My father was on the verge of losing his job because he could no longer remember anything! He now lives with his ex-wife and her husband (my mother and step-father) because he is literally incapable of taking care of himself. He has been out of work for two months and this is causing much financial and emotional strife on all of my family.

Long story short, this was the situation into which Michael and I spent several days of spring break. The first day Michael and I spent the whole day out on the local beaches searching for algae. We had a very nice time together and got lots of specimens. Thursday Michael and I toured the local historical site, Tryon Palace the colonial capital of North Carolina. We enjoyed commenting on all of unique and beautiful architecture. Friday, we visited both sets of my grandparents and then we came home and went to the laboratory to press and identify our algae specimens.

Throughout our time visiting my parents, I got to see my niece and nephew as well as my little sister. Michael, my dad, and my mom all shared a birthday party. We suffered through some emotional ups-and-downs, but throughout our visit we genuinely had a good time together and I am glad that I went.

This last weekend will be relatively uneventful; I plan on making pumpkin pie, corn chowder, and maybe a few other items to wrap up Michael's birthday celebrations. Maybe rent a couple of movies, go to the beach, and take some walks in the park to finish out spring break.

Not ready for the end of break!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment